The Town of Middleborough, a Southeastern Massachusetts town of about 23,000 residents, is embarking on a search for a private individual or group to lease and restore the Oliver Estate, which consists of a c.1769 Georgian style house (with roughly 3,800 s.f.), carriage house, barn, and gardens on Plymouth Street (near Route 44).
The Town acquired this property over the summer (July 2015) with Community Preservation Act funds. JM Goldson provides professional planning assistance to the Middleborough Community Preservation Committee and has been assisting in the town's efforts to acquire and protect this property.
The Town will release a Request for Proposals (RFP) to attract a private party that can care for this one-of-a-kind property and enable public enjoyment and education. It is one of the area's most distinctive historic homes, built with high level of craftsmanship, and has an interesting history as the home of a Tory - it even has a secret hiding place.
The Peter Oliver, Jr. House was constructed in 1769 by Dr. Peter Oliver, Jr., son of the first Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, the building retains its original character and is an important example of Georgian style architecture, materials and workmanship in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Peter Oliver, Jr. House was host to such visitors as Governor Thomas Hutchinson and Benjamin Franklin, and was confiscated by the Town of Middleborough as abandoned Tory property during the American Revolution.
The house retains many original features from its date of construction including exterior siding, windows, interior framing members, plaster walls and ceilings, and woodwork. In recognition of these qualities, the Peter Oliver, Jr. House is a contributing property in the Muttock Historic and Archaeological District listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
The Town plans to release the RFP on 9/9/15. RFP packets may be accessed at www.middleborough.com under "Town Procurements."