I am delighted to announce that the historic c.1783 Keith Homestead in Bridgewater will go on the market later this month. The Keith Homestead, 515 Lakeside Drive, is set on scenic Lake Nippenicket at the end of a dead-end road and is surrounded by 99 acres of permanently protected conservation land that adjoins the Hockomock Swamp Wildlife Management Area.
JM Goldson has been supporting the Bridgewater CPC on this project for close to three years, from conception to implementation, and we are now in the final stage of implementation which is to sell the property to a buyer with a respect and passion for this historic home.
The project idea took hold when a group of concerned neighbors, working together with the Wildlands Trust of Southeastern Massachusetts, presented the project concept to the Bridgewater Community Preservation Committee. The concept was for the town to approach the developer/owner of the property to negotiate an acquisition of the property and surrounding open space with the support of Community Preservation Act funds. The then 14-acre property was approved for development of a cul-de-sac road and 10 single-family house lots and the likely demolition of the historic Keith house.
The Keith Homestead property has a long history - it was originally part of John Washburn’s share of the early land grants of Bridgewater. In 1735, Moses Washburn, John Washburn’s grandson, sold this property to Samuel Keith. Robert Keith, Samuel’s grandson and, during the Revolution, a minuteman in the company of Capt. Nathan Mitchell, built this house c. 1783 in the prevailing Georgian style. The Keith family owned the property for 213 years and farmed the land as did subsequent home owners. The property was sold to a developer in 2004.
The Robert Keith House has approximately 3,520 s.f. net area with five bedrooms and six fireplaces. The building is comprised of a 2-story, 5-bay, south facing main block, a 2.5 story rear ell attached to the north elevation of the main block, a one-story addition attached to the northwest corner of the rear ell, and a one-story garage addition attached to the west elevation.
The interior of the Keith House has many historic features intact spanning from the period of construction (late 18th century), through the 19th century including Greek Revival style elements as well as Victorian-era, to the early 20th century. The property will be permanently protected with a Preservation Restriction that will be held by Historic New England through its stewardship easement program. The Town has selected broker John Petraglia of Petraglia Real Estate, specialists in older, antique, and historic homes, as the agent. Mr. Petraglia can be reached at 508-476-7745 or at
The Request for Proposals for Disposition of Town Property will be released later this month. Stay tuned. . .